Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Is it Done?

We went to Pappa's Brothers Steakhouse last night as part of restaurant week ($7 of every purchase, went to a local food bank), and as such that have a prix fixe menu of $35/head.  The menu at PB for restaurant week is smaller/shorter than some other places we've been before, but for what you get and where you are, it's pretty good.  I had the dry aged strip, probably about 8oz along with the haricort verts and garlic-mashed potatoes; an awesome Caesar salad, a decent bowl of lobster bisque and the raspberry sorbet for dessert (oh and about 15 glasses of water).
My steak was good, I ordered it medium well knowing full well that I would get it medium, and it was tender and full of flavor.  Everyone else at my table, ordered the filet w/butterflied shrimp and a mushroom sauce on top that was salty and just too much.  Too bad, so sad.  We all had the same meals for the most part, except at dessert, everyone had something different:  key lime pie, chocolate peanut butter cake and cheesecake.

My #1 issue w/high-end steakhouses is that their medium temperature and look is not the same as the textbook answers; hence the medium well order.  I like my steak medium, maybe a little under that too; but I just don't understand when you order something medium and it comes back medium rare to rare.  The worst example of this for me was a time at III Forks, it came out seared on all sides and almost raw on the inside, and that was an order of medium!  I guess it will be a mystery or someone like Alton Brown will have to explain it to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment