We were in Wimberley this past weekend to visit my folks, and to attend a high school football game that my niece as a band member participated in (way go to go KJ).
We drove into the Austin outskirts on Saturday for lunch at Mandola's Italian Market/Kitchen, which has three locations in the Austin-area; and is a fun, inviting and good place to eat. They are an Italian Market, with wines, and perishables, and cheese and meats, and gelato, and pastries; plus a full-service restaurant w/great menu items. I had the Spaghetti Carbonara and it was rich and delicious, with al dente pasta, green onions, creamy and buttery egg yolk sauce, Romano, and pancetta.
The thing I like about Mandola'a, but more importantly Austin-area restaurants, is that a place is not regulated to a hip area and thus one location. If I want a place like this here in DFW, my best option is Jimmy's Food Store in Uptown? I am sure there are other places, but Mandola's has a vibe about it, that is hard to copy; I hear Jimmy's is much like it or vice versa. Why cant DFW-area hip places spread the love?
If you are unaware of Damian Mandola, he is the uncle of Johnny Carabba as in Carabba's Italian Grill (the restaurant chain was founded by Johnny and Damian)! Damian has staked a claim on the Austin-area restaurant scene w/three restaurant/markets, plus a flagship restaurant and winery in Driftwood. Several years ago, Damian and Johnny hosted a PBS show on the Houston-area network, called Cucina Sicilia; which was a very fun show to watch, with their antics; but more importantly their innovation and love of food.
Oh, for an Austin tradition of spreading the love in DFW...
No comments:
Post a Comment